Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Information Page
As individuals, families, and institutions in Montgomery and Floyd counties confront Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and its potential effects on our community, Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library is providing this informational update. Please refer to this page for official updates on Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library’s ongoing response to the COVID-19 emergency.
All MFRL library branches are open on their regular schedule of hours. Come visit soon for checkout, browsing, holds, public WiFi, public computer use, and printing. For persons needing to self-isolate, we will continue to offer Curbside Pickup of holds, prints, and Library Picks For You service. Please return all library items in the outside Book Drop.
In light of public health recommendations, all in-person library programs are suspended. Visit our online Summer Reading Program to build life-long reading habits and earn points towards weekly prize drawings.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, community rooms and study rooms are not available. The library asks that persons who wish to donate used books or other material defer their donations until further notice.
Checked-out items that would have been due during our closure now have an extended due date of July 6. MFRL is not assessing fines on overdue days between March 16 and September 1. Children’s items are always fine-free. Thank you for your patience during our closure. We are so happy to welcome you back!
Virginia’s Executive Order #63 requires persons using public facilities to wear a face mask or other face covering inside the library. The libraries have enhanced cleaning and disinfection, re-arranged furnishing, installed new equipment, and will quarantine all returned library material for 96 hours. Library staff wear personal protective equipment and follow public health guidelines when handling material.
Disruptions in Services and Operations
- All in-person events, programs, community room uses, and outreach are canceled.
- Community rooms and study rooms are not available.
- We are not scheduling future community room reservations at this time.
- The library is not accepting book donations.
Continuing or Resumed Services
- Curbside Pickup and Library Picks For You services continue as options for persons who are avoiding public indoor spaces.
- Remote and Wireless Printing.
- Online Library Card registration.
- Library bookdrops are open.
- Passport processing, by appointment.
- Notary services and Proctoring services.
Changes to Circulation
- Normal item checkout periods resume.
- The library will quarantine all returned library material for 72 hours.
- Items that would have been due during the closure are due July 6.
- MFRL is not assessing overdue fines on days between March 16 and September 1.
- Any library card that expired during our closure is valid through July 26.
For official, up-to-date information on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), please visit:
- Virginia Department of Health Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Official Page
- United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Page
- Montgomery County Informational Resources for COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
If you have cold-like symptoms (Fever, Cough, Shortness of breath) DO NOT go to the Hospital or Emergency Room; first call the New River Health District COVID-19 Hotline @ (540) 267-8240 Their hours are:
- 8am - 8pm
- 8am - Noon
- Noon - 4pm
Check books out from home
Staying busy while Social Distancing can be hard. The library offers patrons access to downloadable ebooks, audiobooks, comics, music, and video content. Some institutions have allowed us to provide more content during this emergency. We're buying more downloadable titles, too. There are also school-closure resources available. See our informational box on our front page.